Thursday, May 5, 2011

New Pendant

I have not introduced much of my new work lately. So today I thought I might introduce you guys to my latest listing: My Oolite Pendant.

I found a slab of this stone at a local gem and mineral show last year. Both my husband and I thought it looked really cool, so I bought it. A couple of months ago, I finally cut it. It looked so much cooler than I had imagined. I should mention that most of my awesome pendants look SOOOO much better once they are cut than they do in my imagination :)


When I cut the Oolite, I literally had no idea what to call this thing. I posted to several rock hound forums trying to get an answer as to what this stone was. After having several people tell me it looked like it was resin, I finally set it on fire. Yes I actually tried to set this stone on fire. I needed to prove to myself that is was really a stone and not a look a like.

Well other than a little smoke smut, there was no change. IE it was a real rock and not a resin.. (jumps up and down in happy cheers.) The very next day I found out what the stone was called: Oolite.

Oolite, also known as Egg Stone, is actually a sedimentary rock containing layers of spherical grains called ooids. Ooids are typically made up of calcium carbonate, although other ooids have been found. And interestingly enough, most oolites found seem to have been created around the Jurassic period.

I have been told not to tell you guys this, but beginning Monday I will have an Exclusive deal on my jewelry. If you would like to learn more about this AWESOME deal, use the form on the right to sign up!

2 comments:

Comments and questions are welcome. Spammers will be deleted and banned from this site.